Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A difficult week

The title says it all...this has been a very difficult week. Between not sleeping and a myriad of other side effects from the medication, and the death of another one of my son's friends, I have found it very hard to cope recently.
My youngest son is 15, and someone he'd known since 2nd grade passed away in February. For a long time, they didn't even know what had happened to him. He was having flu-like symptoms, then died in the elevator at the hospital. They found out later that he had viral myocarditis - a virus that attacked his heart.
Then, a week ago Monday, I had to tell my son that someone else he knew had wrapped his car around a tree going 80 mph. He died instantly, but his passenger was OK after a few days in the hospital. My son didn't know this boy as well as the other one, but they bonded immediately the first time they met. He was very kind, polite, funny, charming - the kind of person you want to be around, and you hope his attributes will rub off on your own children. His funeral was extremely difficult. His little sister and best friend was walking around in a daze. She turns 16 in a few days. I am very worried about her. I'm hoping my son will continue to be there for her, as he is now. She and her brother were inseparable.
The medication is killing me. I thought I'd be past all these side effects by now, but instead I'm getting new ones. My hands shake, I feel nauseous all the time, I'm still not sleeping, and I can't concentrate on anything. But on a good note, I got a letter from my insurance company saying the Effexor XR would be less expensive then this generic, venlafaxine. Thank goodness! I was about to call my doctor and have him switch it anyway.
Well, I'm getting started on my Thanksgiving dinner. My son is flying home tomorrow, and my mom and brother are coming over. I'm trying not to stress out too much. I've got myself pretty organized, I just wish someone else was coming over. Then my mom would have someone to talk to other than just me, (my mom and brother are a whole other subject...I could write a novel about them!), and my husband would have someone to talk to other than my brother. Should be fun. If any of the rest of you are like me, the Holidays can sometimes push me right over the edge, then I spend the month of January in bed.
Let the festivities begin!
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment