Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A raucous cacophony

This morning I was kicking back, reading the newspaper and drinking coffee when I heard the sound of crows raising holy hell outside. I mean, A LOT of crows! (Think Alfred Hitchcock!) When I went out to see what was up, a very large red-tailed hawk was being dive-bombed by several dozen crows in one of the large fir trees in my yard. The hawk flew up, and dangling from its talons was a baby crow. Almost immediately, the dozens of crows swarmed the hawk, which lost hold of its prey. The baby bird fell to the ground on the other side of the house. While the crows chased the hawk away, I went to find the baby bird, to see if by some miracle it had survived. I never found it. At first this made me very sad, sad for the baby bird and sad that I had to watch something so small and helpless being killed. But then, I started realizing what had just taken place. One crow called for help, and dozens of crows from all over showed up. They banded together and went after the predator.

I'm hoping that as this crow calls for help, other crows from all over will show up and band together to help me defeat MY predator.

3 comments:

  1. That's really fabulous. The epiphany at the end really made it. I don't even know what to say...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not alone in this battle. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Birds of a feather flock together.

    ReplyDelete